Buying Guide: Best Shaving Mug Set Models and Features
What's in this article...
If your looking to get a great shave, wet shaving requires quite a few accessory items, the best shaving mug for example. For razors, you really don’t want to skimp on price, because in the long run you are going to save on blades and the value is going to come back to you.
However, when it comes to everything else, from the brush, to the stands or mugs, we can be a bit more thrifty. It isn’t going to make a huge difference, and ultimately comes down to your preference. You can do some bargain hunting if you prefer. One of these items, are shaving mugs, and you can really be as liberal as you want. Go crazy, I just advise that you do either use a mug or a shaving bowl to help you produce the necessary lather.
Here is our VERY subjective list of recommendations for the best shaving mug.
Top 5 Mug Sets
Van Der Hagen Men’s Luxury, Set
- Classic Monogrammed apothecary mug
- Hypo-Allergenic soap
- 100% Pure badger hair brush
- Combination brush & razor stand
We like this set the best, due to the brush. Its a bit more expensive, but the badger hair more than makes up for it, and the black ceramic mug is very pretty. In addition to the basics, this set also features an effective stand, and soap which produces a nice lather. A perfect set for any beginner.
Omega 46065 Set
- Includes omega boar brush, soap, and stand
- Made in italy
- Everything you need to get started
- Makes a great gift
This is a great beginner set. It comes with a pre-mixed lather, a stand, a ceramic holding mug, and a boar brush. Don’t forget that with a boar brush, you have to leave the brush in hot water for about 8 minutes in hot water, as compared to the badger brush. The price for this set is great, but we think badger brushes are better overall.
Marvy Gift Set
- Contains # 923 Brush made of 100% pure natural boar bristle;
- Unbreakable Plastic Mug imprinted with turn-of-the-century graphic;
- Enjoy it the way your father and grandfather did
- Bar of Soap which contains moisturizers to soften your face and beard for a smooth shave.
- The comfort of a Barber Shop at Home!
Another great set for beginners (we think once you get into wet shaving you’ll expand into better brushes), Marvy’s foray into wet shaving is a good one. This set also has a boar head brush and ceramic mug, all at a really affordable price. Most all however, the pre-lathered soap makes it easy for those who haven’t started with traditional grooming before, to get into it.
Van Der Hagen Premium
- Hypo-allergenic shave soap contains 40% humectants moisturizers to help soften even the toughest beard
- Handmade brushes using the world’s finest quality 100% natural boar bristle
- Ceramic bowl designed to make lathering easier by holding the cake in place and fitting comfortably in the shaver’s hand
- Shallow bowl reduces mess and prevent tipping
This is a very nice set by Van Der Hagen, and has a stylish look. It comes with everything you might want, except for a brush stand, including shave soap, and a boar bristled brush. What is most appealing about this set however, is the price. The difference between this set, and the set mentioned earlier on this list, is the price. This is the cheapest mug set on our list, at a hair under $10, you won’t be disappointed with the value here for a named brand, and its perfect for any beginner learning how to shave.
5 Piece Apothecary by Colonel Conk
- Deluxe boar brush
- Gold-tone stand with fine hardwood base holds brush and razor
- Gold-tone Double Track razor
- 2.25 oz. Colonel Conk’s world-famous glycerin shave soap
- Old-fashioned ceramic apothecary mug
Another fantastic set, Colonel Conk’s line of products are great, and their mug set is no exception. A major brand in traditional wet shaving products, this set includes a boar bristle brush, a ceramic mug, and a wooden stand. The brushes handle is made out of hardwood as well, and it comes with 2.25 oz of gylcerin shaving soap. However, this set is expensive, because for some silly reason, Colonel Conk decided to include gold plating and jack up the price. We think you can find better products for this price, if you don’t mind not showing off the gold.